Tooth Extraction in Kendall, FL
Bothered by a painful or damaged tooth? Choose expert Tooth Extraction by Dr. Andy Gaertner in Kendall, FL. With our top-notch care, you’ll enjoy quick relief and improved oral health, setting the stage for a healthier, happier smile.
Your Kendall general dentist. Privileged to treat you like family!
Painful Tooth? Uncover Extraction Benefits
End the agony of a troublesome tooth once and for all with Tooth Extraction. This essential dental procedure offers more than just immediate relief; it paves the way for long-term oral health, prevents the spread of infection, and provides a foundation for further restorative treatments.
Instant Pain Relief
Say goodbye to constant toothache and discomfort, and welcome immediate relief that elevates your quality of life.
Stop dental decay and infection in their tracks, preventing further damage to adjacent teeth and gums.
Create the perfect canvas for future dental solutions like implants or bridges, setting you on a path to a healthier, more complete smile.
The removal of a tooth from its socket in the jawbone is known as tooth extraction. Tooth extraction is considered a common dental procedure. This procedure is typically performed when a tooth is too severely damaged or decayed to be restored or when it poses a risk to the patient’s overall oral health.
At Bliss Dental, we prioritize preventative care and aim to maintain oral health by cleaning teeth, discussing healthy diets, and treating gum disease, cavities, and infections. However, tooth extractions are sometimes necessary, and our experienced team ensures patient comfort during the treatment process. In cases of severe pain or complex dental health issues, our team may recommend oral surgery as part of your dental treatment plan to address the underlying cause and restore your oral health.
Signs That You Might Need a Tooth Extraction in Kendall, FL
There are several signs that may indicate the need for a tooth extraction. If you experience any of the following symptoms, it is essential to consult with a dental professional to determine the cause:
- Intense discomfort in the tooth or jaw
- Pain when biting down or chewing
- Pus or bleeding around the affected tooth
- Swelling or redness in the gum tissue surrounding the tooth
- Persistent bad breath or a foul taste in the mouth
What Is the Process of Having a Tooth Extraction in Kendall, FL?
During a tooth extraction, our skilled dentists will first determine if the tooth can be saved or if extraction is necessary. The main reason for extraction is periodontal disease, which can cause bone loss and damage to the surrounding gum tissue. In the Bliss dental office, the tooth extraction process typically involves the following steps:
- Numb the area of the mouth around the tooth to prevent discomfort during the procedure.
- Loosen and remove the tooth if it has broken through the gums for impacted teeth or those below the gum surface; an oral maxillofacial surgeon may be necessary to perform the extraction.
- Create an incision in the gums, lift the gum flap, and remove the tooth from its socket.
- Clean the extraction site and use gauze to stop any bleeding.
Patients report feeling pressure (and not pain) during this procedure.
Call today to schedule your consultation
What Are the Types of Tooth Extractions?
The two main types of tooth extractions are simple extractions and surgical extractions.
- Simple tooth Extraction: This type of extraction is performed on teeth that are visible above the gum line and can be easily removed with dental tools. Using a special instrument, the dentist will loosen the tooth and then remove it with forceps.
- Surgical tooth Extraction: This type of extraction is more complex and is performed on teeth that are not easily accessible, such as impacted wisdom teeth or teeth that have broken off below the gum line. A surgical procedure may require an incision in the gum tissue, removal of bone around the tooth, or even breaking the tooth into sections for easier removal.
How to Care for Your Mouth After a Tooth Extraction
Our office staff will provide you with instructions to follow after tooth extraction. Please follow the instructions carefully to promote healing and prevent complications. Here are some tips for taking care of your mouth after tooth extraction:
- Rest and drink plenty of water, avoiding cold or hot foods and drinks for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid using a straw for the first few days, as the suction can dislodge the blood clot and delay healing.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, and use ice packs to reduce swelling.
- Eat soft foods for the first few days and gradually reintroduce solid foods as healing progresses.
- Keep the mouth clean by brushing surrounding teeth gently and rinsing with warm water and a teaspoon of salt or an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with your dentist if necessary to monitor the healing process and address any concerns.
What You Should Know about Wisdom Teeth Removal in Kendall, FL
Usually appearing between the ages of 17 and 25, wisdom teeth, or third molars, are the final teeth to develop.The term “extra teeth” is sometimes used because the majority of individuals already have a full set of permanent teeth (28 teeth) by the time the wisdom teeth start to come in.
Often, there is not enough space in the jaw for wisdom teeth to grow in properly, which can lead to various oral health issues such as tooth infection, impaction, or damage to adjacent teeth. The wisdom teeth removal procedure is used to prevent or address these issues.
Wisdom tooth removal can involve the removal of a single tooth or multiple teeth, depending on the patient’s needs. The process is generally straightforward, but it’s essential to choose a dental professional with experience in wisdom tooth extraction to ensure a safe and efficient procedure. With proper care and attention, most patients can expect a smooth recovery and a reduced risk of complications associated with impacted or misaligned wisdom teeth.
Sometimes orthodontic treatment can help create sufficient space for a successful extraction. Also, the orthodontic treatment plan might be required post-procedure to address any shifts or misalignments that occur following the wisdom teeth removal procedure. This ensures that the teeth maintain proper alignment and occlusion.
At Bliss Dental, our experienced team will determine the necessity of wisdom teeth removal through a thorough examination and X-rays. The procedure for wisdom teeth removal is similar to that of a general extraction, but it is typically recommended during the teenage years or early adulthood when the roots of the wisdom teeth are not fully developed, making the extraction process easier and recovery faster.
Here are some important points to consider regarding wisdom teeth removal:
- Not all wisdom teeth need to be removed; only those that pose a risk to your oral health or cause discomfort should be extracted.
- The procedure may be performed under different types of anesthesia depending on the complexity of the extraction and the patient’s comfort level, such as using local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia.
- Recovery time varies, but most patients can expect to return to their normal activities within a week or two following the procedure.
- Proper aftercare is essential to ensure a smooth healing process and to prevent complications such as dry socket or infection.
For emergency dental services, visit our Emergency Dentist page.
Why Choose Dr. Gaertner of Bliss Dental?
- As the son of a dentist, Dr. Gaertner‘s passion for dentistry began at an early age. Following high school, Dr. Gaertner attended Nova Southeastern University in South Florida, where he earned his Bachelor of Science in Biology and then graduated with his Doctorate of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree. Dr. Gaertner has practiced dentistry in both the United States and his home country of Belgium and now calls the Miami area home.
- He practices a variety of dentistry, including cosmetic dentistry, smile makeovers, dental crowns, porcelain veneers, root canal treatments, and Invisalign. Dr. Gaertner has also integrated the use of dental lasers and Botox injections into his state-of-the-art dental and oral care practice.
- Bliss Dental is a full-service facility offering top-notch, compassionate care and providing services ranging from routine dental care and endodontics to cosmetic and restorative dentistry that enhance patients’ smiles.
Frequently Asked Questions about Tooth Extraction
An extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the jaw bone. This common procedure is typically performed when a tooth is too severely damaged or decayed to be restored, or when it poses a risk to the patient’s overall oral health. Extractions can be either simple or surgical, depending on the tooth’s position and the complexity of the procedure.
The tooth extraction procedure involves numbing the area around the tooth to prevent discomfort, loosening the tooth with dental tools, and removing it from the socket. For a surgical extraction, an incision may be made in the gum tissue, removing bone, or breaking the tooth into parts for easier removal.
Recovery time for wisdom teeth extraction varies depending on the complexity of the procedure and the patient’s individual healing process. Generally, most patients can expect to return to their normal activities within a week or two following the procedure.
To prevent infection after tooth extraction, it is essential to follow proper aftercare instructions provided by your dentist. This may include rinsing with warm salt water, brushing teeth carefully around the extraction site, and using a prescribed antibiotic mouth rinse if necessary. Additionally, maintaining good oral hygiene and avoiding smoking or using tobacco products can help reduce the risk of infection.
If you are in need of a tooth extraction in Kendall, FL, Bliss Dental offers Tooth Extraction among its services and is conveniently located at 8501 SW 124th Ave Ste 104 Kendall, FL 33183. Our skilled and experienced dental team, led by Dr. Andy Gaertner, is committed to providing high-quality dental care in a comfortable and relaxed environment. We offer a wide range of dental services, including tooth extractions, wisdom teeth removal, and emergency dental care.