Teeth are the only visible part of the human skeleton, and this exposure makes them susceptible to damage and decay from various factors. Sugar, a staple in the Western diet, plagues Americans’ dental health. This addictive ingredient is commonly added to food and beverages, and even refined carbohydrates like white bread break down into sugars. Though saliva contains remineralizing agents like fluoride, food and beverage particles that get stuck in between the teeth, between the teeth and gums, and in the surface grooves of the crowns can lead to the development of dental cavities.
Cavities occur in the mouth after plaque forms on the teeth. Plaque, a sticky, bacteria-laced biofilm, eats away at the outer layer of the teeth, or the enamel, which eventually causes a hole in the tooth. In some cases, cavities are so extensive that they erode the enamel and the underlying dentin. Cavities are permanent and must be repaired by dental fillings to ensure good oral health. Dr. Andy Gaertner is a dentist in the Miami, FL area specializing in modern tooth restoration techniques, including tooth fillings, to improve his patients’ dental health.
Have been coming here for years and years. The treatment, the doctor, and the staff are excellent. Today I had my first filling in more than 12 years, and I must say I couldn’t even feel the injection- that’s how good he is. Highly recommend him to anyone.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Bliss Dental was established in 2008
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Kendall-Dade County, Broward County & Palm Beach County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Kendall, South Kendall, West Palm Beach, Doral, Fort Lauderdale, Kendall Beach